Good Morning, Bronco fans! It’s game day! Week 15 action in the NFL. Tonight, we have the honor of playing in the last Thursday night game of the season. It’s a rematch of Week 10, a divisional showdown with the visiting San Diego Chargers!
In the first matchup with the Chargers, the Broncos came out with a big win on the road, beating the Chargers 28-20. Peyton had a big game throwing for more than 300 yards and 4 TDs. The Denver “D” held Philip Rivers to just 219 yards and 1 TD, but there was something a bit different about this game.
For the majority of the 2013 season, the Denver Broncos have been a dominant second half team, but in Week 10, the Chargers outscored the Broncos 14-7 in the second half. The most amazing part of that game was San Diego’s ability to keep Manning off of the field. The Chargers had the ball for 38:03 compared to the Broncos time of possession of 21:57. Keeping Manning on the sidelines will be the only way to keep the scoreboard from lighting up!
5 Keys for My Prediction
- Don’t Judge Me! Last week, after shredding the Titans in the freezing cold, Peyton told reporters to take their narrative of him not being good in cold weather games and stick it where the sun doesn’t shine. Well, Peyton, here is another chance to get another monkey off of your back. It will be cold tonight at kickoff, but it won’t be “freezing”, and based on weather reports, the temperature will still be over freezing when the game ends. However, this is a big game. It’s not quite like a playoff game for Denver, but this game has a lot of meaning. The Patriots and the Chiefs are only one game behind Denver and its home field advantage throughout the playoffs. If Denver wins and the Chiefs lose, they will be the AFC West Champions, again!
- Double Decker Alert! Did you know that the Broncos became the first team EVER to have 4 players with at least 10 TDs in the same season? Did you know that if Eric Decker catches two more touchdown passes that he will also have 10 and will be the 5th player on the team in double digits? My prediction, he gets them both tonight…. In the first half! With the absence of Wes Welker and the surge in production that we have seen from Decker in the last 3 weeks, there will be plenty of Manning to Decker connections.
- Danger Phil Rivers! Your Chargers have their backs against a wall. This is a must win for the Chargers and they are going to come out and treat this like a playoff game. With their playoff hopes fading, Philip Rivers will need to lead his team to victory, or their season will essentially be over. This team will be hungry and fired up. If the Broncos defense can step up their game and prevent big plays, the Chargers season will end tonight.
- He Got Game! Danny Woodhead has been a major producer for the Chargers this year. He has touched the ball a total of 149 times (84 runs and 65 completions) and has score a total of 8 touchdowns and gained 864 yards. Without containment, he could easily eclipse the 1,000 yard mark tonight. Add in Keenan Allen (61 Catches, 902 Yards, 6 TDs) and Antonio Gates (68 Catches, 776 Yards, 3 TDs) and you have a pretty powerful 3 headed monster. Couple that with Philip Rivers’ NFL leading 70.2 completion percentage and this looks like an offense that will be able to keep up with the Broncos. The Denver defense will need to step it up big time tonight.
- It’s Not If, But When! When will Peyton break Tom Brady’s single season touchdown record? When will Peyton break Drew Brees’ single season passing yard record? There is no doubt in my mind that Peyton Manning will break both of these records. My only question is when. The touchdown record could fall, or at least be tied tonight. This game has the ability to be a shootout, and if that is the case, I can see Peyton throwing 5 TDs. The yardage record will likely have to wait until the last game of the season. Currently, Manning trails Brees’ record by 954 yards. He will need to throw for an average of 318 yards per game in order to break the record. This offense has been absolutely amazing to watch this season. Enjoy it all Broncos fans.
Final Score Prediction
San Diego Chargers – 27
Denver Broncos – 41