Mile High Legends: Simon Fletcher

4101004P CARDINALS V BRONCOSHello everyone. Welcome to our first installment of Mile High Legends. As we wait for the start of the 2010 Broncos season I thought it would be fun to take a stroll down memory lane and look back at some of the best players ever to wear the orange and blue. I hope you enjoy.

Simon Fletcher was drafted in the second round of the 1985 draft out of the University of Houston. At 6-6 and 240 pounds, Fletcher was a “tweener” , to tall and lanky to play linebacker and not heavy enough to play on the line. Fletcher would however find a home playing outside linebacker in Denver’s 3-4 scheme, a position where he would mainly rush the passer on every down. And Broncos opponents soon found out Fletcher was a sack specialist.

Fletcher played his entire 11 year career in Denver from ’85 through ’95. Fletcher recorded 97.5 sacks during that time which remains a Broncos record. Fletcher collected a remarkable 66 sacks during ’89 through ’93 and set a NFL record for 10 consecutive games with a sack (recently tied by cowboy DeMarcus Ware).

Fletcher would be overlooked by the media for his entire career. He is most likely the greatest player to have never been invited to the Pro-Bowl. Even after the ’92 season in which he recorded 16 sacks, 5 forced fumbles and 99 tackles, Fletcher somehow was overlooked.

I believe it’s finally time to recognize and honor Fletcher with the highest honor a Broncos player can receive and add his name to the Ring of Fame in 2010!

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Broncos Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

14 Responses to “Mile High Legends: Simon Fletcher”

1. As a Denver Bronco fan and football player,fan and follower for life, I always felt/thought that Simon Fletcher was the most underrated outside linebacker. Simon Fletcher at his weight took on blockers and double and even triple team blocks but was almost always around the ball.Simon Fletcher like alot of the Broncos always played hard but seemed to be on the quiet/soft spoken side so perhaps that might be a reason for his not ever playing in the NFL Pro Bowl. I have a hard time understanding why a player like him who had so many quarterback hurries,hits and sacks to go along with tackles would be overlooked for the Pro Bowl. I feel that this player should be looked at for Pro Football Hall of Fame consideration however without Pro Bowl participation he won’t even get a look.The Denver Broncos Seem to always get “looked passed” and recieve little or no respect for the NFL Pro Football Hall of fame and I as I am sure a lot of Bronco fans agree with you that Simon Fletcher deserves his name up on the ring of fame (long overdue) it’s the least that could happen for this most deserving player.

2. RENEORTEGA25 says:

Don’t you understand that it’s correct time to get the loans, which can make you dreams real.

3. lbmore33 says:

Welcome to the world of the Denver Broncos always overlooked and under apprectiated by the outside media. Fletcher was a stud but you wouldn’t notice him because of his qiet demeanor. Wow I forgot all abt that he didn’t make a pro bowl “RIDICULOUS”!!!! Come on Pat he deserves that Ring of Honor tribute, make it happen.

4. D. Johnson says:

I cant believe he never went to the pro-bowl. I agree put him in the ring of fame, asap. it about time!

5. YES…YES AND YES SIMON SHOULD BE PUT IN THE RING OF FAME, ASAP….It truly is about time!

6. Andrea Fletcher says:

I am sooo proud of my uncle,Its about time he gets what he deserves:D

7. Linda Young says:

I just met Mr. Fletcher and I must say that he is one of the nicest people I have ever met!

8. Jodie Baker says:

Simon is one of my ABSOLUTE all-time FAVORITE Denver Broncos! Why this man ain’t up on that Ring Of Fame is beyond me! He, right along with Steve Foley, Broncos’ all-time career leader in interceptions, are every bit as deserving to be up there as any of those other men who are!

9. FERNIE says:

I THOUGHT HE HAS ALREADY IN I DONT GET TO GO TO MANY GAMES BUT HE WAS ALWAYS MY FAVORITE HE SHOULD BE IN THE #S PROVE IT THANKS

10. Patty says:

I dont know what happened to Simon Fletchers morals or integrity since leaving the Denver Broncos but he has none. He has lost any respect and does nothing but surf from couch to couch while ripping people and businesses off. I am sorry to say that I had once admired him as a well known and well respected NFL player and I can only hope that karma will bite him in the ass one day.

• Broncos says:

Patty you sound a little disgruntled. This was so not the time nor place to air your personal feelings which doesn’t take away from the FACTS that he was an awesome player and addition to the Denver Broncos and the NFL.

• Johnny says:

Patty, sounds like we have a lot in common with our thoughts about Mr. Fletcher. If you see this, please respond. This man owes me a ton of money, due to his “restaurant skills”.

Johnny

• Randy says:

I firmly agree with you both. Simon is a strait up crook. Soon enough people will start to through all his smooth talk. He travels from town to town, all he does is take advantage of honest people. He will stay around till he has burned everyone, then he will move on to the next town. Now he has a restaurant in greeley called whistle blowers. I know for a fact that he has failed to pay several employees for their hours worked. He waits till they have worked many hours and finds a way to fire them and not pay. The man is very dishonest, do not do business with him.

• Sarah says:

Wholeheartedly agree. Owes so much money to us it’s not even funny.