Broncos LB Von Miller Proclaims 2017 Will Be His Best Season Yet

Von Miller swears missing the Denver Broncos‘ offseason program last year didn’t adversely affect his play, the Associated Press reports. Still, after coming up short in his bid to win Defensive Player of the Year and defend his Super Bowl title, he’s thrilled to be working out with his teammates this spring.

Miller called these initial workouts under new coach Vance Joseph “extremely important” in his quest to lead the Broncos back to the playoffs and fulfill his pledge to have his best season in 2017.

“Last year, I was like, ‘Man, you don’t really need OTAs. You can train on your own.’ But you really need these,” Miller said Tuesday. “The National Football League is so competitive, so the more time that you can get to perfect your craft with your teammates” the better.

Miller’s 2016 offseason was a whirlwind of global flights and TV appearances including “Dancing with the Stars.”

Miller signed a seven-year, $114.5 million contract at the deadline last summer after skipping the Broncos’ entire offseason program. Then, he collected 13 1-2 sacks and a career-best 78 tackles in 2016. But he went without a sack over the final month of the season as the Broncos missed the playoffs by one game and Oakland defensive end Khalil Mack edged him by a single vote for Defensive Player of the Year.

“I pretty much didn’t have an offseason last year with so much stuff (going on),” Miller said. “And I wasn’t going to use that as an excuse. I lost by one vote. … I got close this year. If we were able to make the playoffs or I was able to make a few more plays, who knows where we would have been?”

Miller said he’s moved past the disappointment.

“I’m not going to stay stuck in the past. I’m moving forward,” Miller said. “This Von coming up is going to be the best Von that I put forward. It’s going to be my best year. That’s what I’m going for. I have a full offseason, full OTAs, I’m going to be here training every single day. It’s not all that noise on the outside from the contract and this and that and doing all this stuff. Not that that was a big deal for me, but now it’s just all football. I’m here, I’m settled in and it’s time to go play.”

Asked if he felt better physically than he did a year ago, Miller said: “I was on Dancing with the Stars at this time. I was probably 230 pounds. You know, I’m definitely feeling a whole lot better, getting rest and being able to sleep.”

Miller got his vacations out of the way after the season ended, taking in Drake concerts in Dublin, Paris and Amsterdam.

Report: Broncos Would Have Only Wanted Tony Romo Under Right Conditions

As much confidence as general manager John Elway and new coach Vance Joseph have professed in young quarterbacks Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch, the Broncos would have been interested in a veteran of now retired Tony Romo’s stature under the right conditions, Chris Wesseling of NFL.com reports.

It was no secret that one of the those conditions was that the Cowboys release Romo rather than holding out for a trade.

If Elway was going to graduate from piqued interest to sold on the idea, though, he needed to know that Romo was harboring a single-minded obsession with winning a Super Bowl before retirement.

“One of the conditions was that Romo was all-in on the pursuit of a Super Bowl to kind of cap his career,” Mike Klis of KUSA-TV in Denver told NFL Network’s Will Selva on Tuesday.

Elway wanted assurances that other considerations such as money, geography, health and television opportunities were secondary to embracing the chance to win in Denver.

“I think Elway wasn’t sure how committed Tony Romo was to that all-consuming quest that he wanted from his quarterback,” Klis added. “I think that had a big part of why Elway backed off of Tony Romo a few weeks ago.”

Offseason Musings

Well, the Broncos are at the League Meetings. And the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas and will move into a Brand New Stadium after it opens in time in 2019. So they will stay in Oakland for 2 more seasons. And the issue of moving overtimes to 10 minutes was tabled. So this will stay at 15 minutes, unless they bring it up for a vote,but that is unlikely. And head hits will result not only in fines but suspensions. But only the worst are supposed in that. It is a safety area for the players of course, because of the concussions issue, And the leap over the line to block kicks will be elimated,
Now when they return to Denver,they will first go getting
in ready for the draft. Building their boards for each position with ranking is what they will do. They will only draft for need if they can get a value player. They will not reach for need for players who are risks. On Offense, they have needs for LT,and a playmaker who will play the slot. And with the great depth of Tight End, they could get a playmaker there too, and they may draft a running back to add depth.On Defense, a great runstopper that can fit in the D-Line rotation. And depth at OLB who can compelete Von along with Shane Ray. And depth at MLB who would compete with Todd Davis. And finally, depth at DB. They have 10 picks, so they could get good players at these areas. The Draft is April 27th to 29th, so it will come up very soon in a month. OTAs will start in April for the veterans returning. Shortly after the draft they will have an OTA only for the drafted players and selected one year rerurntes. Some of the OTAs are not mandatory,and some are. As of now there is no one holding out, so all hands on deck unless recovering players like Sieman can’t particular unless they do mental reps, which could be critical for them with new systems in place. So GO GO Elway and braintrust and get some very valuable drafted players and keep building a great Broncos Team in 2017 and beyond!!!

Broncos Ink NT Domata Peko to Two-Year Deal

Today the Broncos made a big free agent signing, bringing in nose tackle Domata Peko on a two-year deal. The former Bengals NT played in Cincy for the last 11 seasons.

After signing two offensive linemen in the first two days of free agency, the Broncos beefed up the other side of their line Monday, agreeing to terms with nose tackle Domata Peko on a two-year deal.

Peko, cousin of 2016 Broncos practice squad member Kyle Peko, comes to Denver after 11 seasons with the Bengals. The elder Peko has been a reliable defensive lineman, playing in all 16 games in 10 of those seasons. In Cincinnati, Peko recorded 516 tackles, 18.5 sacks, 12 passes defensed and two forced fumbles.

Cincinnati selected Peko with the 123rd overall pick in the fourth round of the 2006 NFL Draft after he broke through as a starter at Michigan State in his senior season. That year, Peko recorded 53 tackles, one sack, two fumble recoveries, one forced fumble and a blocked PAT.

Conbine Week

The Broncos coaches and scouts are in Indy for the 2017 Player Combine.It is Day 1 so the the players are showing off their performances.
As you probably know, Offensive Line is priority 1, so they will be evaluating Offensive Tackles that can play right away. But Elway said Free Agency is very important, and there will be several very talented OL players in Free Agency too. And the Broncos have over 42M in cap room, plus any money added by releasing players to work with. And C with Matt Paradis returning after his successful hip surgeries is the only solid Position. So a couple signings in Free Agency and Max Garcia possible in one of the Guards, a good draft player that can play immediately could be the right ticket to making the OL much better than last years. And they will be using both types of blocking, zone and convenctial straight away blocking and some plays with both, typically using one half of the blocking and the other on the other half in running plays in most missideracting plays to open a hole in the straight blocking while the linemen on the otherside get down field to make key blocks on LB and DB to aid the back down field. And as you know Jamal Charles was released along with Vikings Adrian Patterson so I wouldnt be surprised if the Broncos make a run at one of them. They are both 31 year old, but several RBs have had great years at that plus 30 age, including Willis McGehee when McCoy had been the OC on his first tour with the Broncos. And other Free Agent possibles are a slot reciver to complement our very talented WRs.
And also on Free Agency they will be looking for a talented runstopper DL to complaint Derek Wolfe. And possibly a LB to possibly compete with Todd Davis to play alongside Brandon Marshall. So we only have to wait 8 days until next Thursday, March 9 for Free Agency to open, I hope they resign OLB Ware, though they have Shane Ray who could start if necessary, and Kayvon Webster would be a good resign to rotate in Nickle Packages with Bradley Roby and he was a very talented Caption on Special Teams. So all of this frenzy starts after Elway, the Coaches and Scouts return from Indy on March 6th. So Elway and the Coaches only have a couple days to get ready for the Start of Free Agency.
And the Broncos have decided to at least talk with Tony Romo if he is released as a Free Agent by the Cowboys. And is open to playing with a reduction of the 13M salary he would make if he stayed with the Cowboys. Dallas would prefer to trade Romo, but haven’t had any takers unless some team steps in and would be OK with that salary. And if he is released,he has said repeatabley that his preference is playing with the Broncos. He never has played with a Defense as good and talented and the lure of a SuperBowl Ring could make him amenable to playing at a lower salary. But all of this is just ifs and maybes, so all we can do is wait and see. And the Broncos have said they were happy with Lynch and Siemen. But his Left Shoulder is worse than he has related. MRI’s have also show torn ligaments, so any sack on that shoulder could possibly put him out of action. Then the Broncos would be in a pickle with only one other QB on the Team. So Lynch and Siemen could get some seasonlys for another year and if Romo is procured and gets hurt, one of them could step in without a big drop in production. So Anyway, Elway and the rest of the Braintrusts, please make really good decisions and build a team that can get us back to the playoffs, get another Division Championship in a very competitive Division and another chance to bring a 4th Super Bowl back to Denver to the best fans, not only in Colorado and that region, but throughout America but worldwide too. I personally have several Bronco friends fans in Europe. I am writing this from the Illinois side of the Quad Cities area and watch the games we can’t watch at home with several other fans and have met several more in my travels in this area. So yes Broncodom is well and alive across the whole planet. We are United in Orange and Go,Go Broncos and lead us on a great year of Bronco Football!!!

Broncos Need New O-Line Coach After Newly Hired John Benton Bails for the 49ers

John Benton, hired in January as the Broncos’ assistant offensive line coach, was recently granted permission by the team to interview for the 49ers’ top offensive line coaching position. According to the Sporting News on Monday, the sides were finalizing a deal, Nicki Jhabvala of the Denver Post reports.

The move was expected when the Broncos allowed him to interview and, according to an NFL source, Benton has already cleared out his belongings from the team’s facility.

The Broncos will search for a new assistant to work under offensive line coach Jeff Davidson and offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, but they don’t have a set timetable or targeted replacement yet.

Northern Colorado announced Monday that its defensive backs coach, Charles Gordon, has joined the Broncos as a defensive quality control assistant.

Gordon, a former NFL defensive back, signed with the Vikings after going undrafted out of Kansas in 2006. He played three seasons under the tutelage of Joe Woods, then the VIkings’ defensive backs coach and now the Broncos’ defensive coordinator.

Gordon joined UNC’s staff in 2013.

Elway Says Broncos Defense for Super Bowl Run Was Modeled After Seahawks

Broncos general manager John Elway modeled the Broncos defense after the Seahawks, Andie Hagemann of NFL.com reports.

On Friday in an interview with ESPN Seattle’s “Danny, Dave and Moore,” Broncos general manager John Elway shared the inspiration behind his team’s dominant defense.

“It was at that point in time I think that we watched the model that the Seahawks and John (Schneider) and coach (Pete) Carroll had put together of being great on defense,” Elway said. “I think what we were able to do is we added some key components that offseason via free agency and plus my first five years that I was here we worked on the defense.

“It all came together at the right time. Having seen the focus that on the defensive side, no matter what, if you had a great defense you’re going to be able to stay in football games.”

It’s important to note it wasn’t solely the loss that brought upon change. Elway mentioned the Broncos had been fixed on acquiring key defensive pieces through free agency and the draft since his arrival. After he was selected second overall in the 2011 draft, Von Miller’s presence has paid dividends. In six seasons, he’s accumulated 73.5 sacks and was influential in the team’s Super Bowl win.

“My first five years that I was here we worked on the defense, and so our first five picks were defensive guys,” he said. “Those five guys really matured, came along, played great defense, and we were able to add Aqib Talib, DeMarcus Ware and T.J. Ward, some key pieces there. And then Wade Phillips came in with (then-head coach) Gary Kubiak as defensive coordinator, so really kinda everything aligned. I think the key thing is the young guys matured and really played well so that’s really what happened, and you’re right, we rode their backs last year to Super Bowl 50.”

Broncos Not Interested in Former Giants Wide Out Victor Cruz

The Broncos could use a veteran wide out, but it sounds like all the chatter about the team taking a long look at former Giants WR Victor Cruz, who was released Monday, is just that – chatter.

Mike Klis of 9 News in Denver says that the Broncos are not looking at Cruz as a possible option – but who knows down the road if that might change?

Cruz along with running back Rashard Jennings were both released by the Giants on Monday.

Write For Us